17 November 2007

Chicken and Chickpea Chipotle Chili


I seem to make chili quite a lot. But it just always tastes good, and you can do it a million different ways.

This one used up some leftover chicken, a lot of green and red pepper, and some chickpeas I'd frozen a while back. My sister's friend - Hi Tanya! Thanks Tanya! - sent some spices over to our place in hopes we'd use them, and one of them was a jar of chipotle chili powder, so I used that rather than regular chili powder. At first my impression was that it was a lot hotter than regular chili powder, but I don't think that it is at all. I think it was actually only hotter in comparison to our chili powder that has been sitting around for so long it probably is only half so potent as it once was. At any rate, after that initial taste, it was the smokiness of the chipotle that I really noticed, as well as a richness from the cocoa and balsamic vinegar that were different additions than any of my usuals.

This was good, definitely worth a remake somewhere down the line.

1 comment: