30 October 2007

Shepherd's Pie


I've often thought about making Shepard's pie (or something similar) but have never done it because it always seemed like it would be a lot of work, but I made one today. (And it wasn't much work at all. Too many dishes, though.) I don't think it's a proper Shepherd's Pie because it's made with chicken and a ton of vegetables instead of beef, but it really tasted too good for me to care.

This version, which comes from a Weight Watcher's cookbook I have, uses cooked chicken breast, corn, carrots, spinach, and onion with herbs and a gravy (I made gravy! And it worked!), and is topped with mashed potatoes and Parmesan cheese. (I don't think you can go wrong with Parmesan cheese.)

I think if I make it again I'm going to adjust the seasonings to have parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (it's a tasty combination, at least with sausage, so why not with chicken?) and I'll add some more salt and pepper. The seasonings weren't off or bad this time, but I might as well adjust to make it taste ways that make me happiest.

No comments:

Post a Comment