02 September 2008

Marinated Flank Steak with Spicy Broccoli and Baked Sweet Potatoes


I'm running a day behind on my posting here: this was from yesterday evening. It was one of the more involved things I've made in a while, though it wasn't really very involved. It's just that I had to make a marinade for the steak on Sunday, and obviously that extra step somehow made it seem like a nearly insurmountable amount of work.

I wish I'd taken a photo of the steak in the marinade because it looked like a ziploc bag of grass soup with a raw steak in it. Mmm grass soup. It was actually more or less equal amounts of cilantro, parsley, and basil with some olive oil, spices, and chicken stock, but was bright bright green and looked like grass soup.

I have a hard time cooking steak. Usually I overcook them, this was slightly undercooked for my tastes. I mean, it tasted great and the texture was perfect and I KNOW that steak is better like this than cooked more well-done, but I have issues with juices and so I had to close my eyes and take a mouthful without looking at the redness or else I'd have thrown it all in the garbage.

Much like I threw the sweet potatoes in the garbage. I knew before I photographed it that I wouldn't be eating them, but I wanted to add that extra colour to the plate. They were soggy. No amount of baking would dry them out or crisp them up. They were in the oven almost double their intended baking time and still they came out damp. I've made sweet potatoes like this before and not had this problem, so I'm not sure what did it this time. Shame, anyway.

The broccoli, though, yum. And the steak, too, yum. I think I'll make the steak again, but next time I'll cook it a little longer, just to get a little less juice and a little more personal comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment