17 September 2008

Leek and Oats Stuffed Chicken with Grilled Zucchini and Asparagus

This turned out to be a bit of a hit and miss dinner. I loved the chicken, but could have done without the vegetables.

The chicken is a recipe for stuffed turkey breast that I found in the Clean Eating cookbook. It's stuffed with chopped leek, onion, rolled oats, and some herbs - sage, thyme and rosemary. The herbs make it taste just like fall, sort of warm and cozy. It was a nice way to cook chicken, and much cheaper than buying turkey breast. (Less wasteful, too. What would I do with a 3lb turkey breast, serving only myself? That'd be a lot of leftovers.)

The vegetables were less successful, which surprised me because they were so basic. I actually roasted them in the oven on a grill pan, with just a little olive oil and salt and pepper, but they tasted very bitter, so much so that I couldn't eat the zucchini at all and the asparagus was only barely passable. I know it's long past season for asparagus, but I don't think I've ever had it taste so bad. And the zucchini was strangely, incredibly awful.

I think I'll definitely keep the chicken recipe in mind for the future, because it was quite nice. And looks nice for serving, too, if I were to make it for guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment