24 April 2009

Linguine with Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce


I have a tendency to buy a lot of food related things and then never finish them. I have couscous, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, several varieties of rice, flax seeds, every sort of nut under the sun, jars of two sorts of pesto, two sorts of curry paste (maybe three... hm, I can't remember if I have a Thai green curry paste or not), Alfredo sauce, tomato sauce, a squeeze tube of tomato paste, a squeeze tube of aioli, bottles of four or five sorts of vinegar, bottles of fish sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce, sweet chili sauce, sriracha, and sambal oeleck. Of which I've used... one (a mild curry sauce) in the last two or three weeks. And that's just the short list of infrequently used things I've bought.

So sometimes I'll go on a kick of finding recipes to use up some of those ingredients. (Or else I'll try to freeze it. All the nuts and some of the grains are in the freezer.) Today was "Finish the jar of roasted red peppers" day.

The easiest recipe to hand (besides just eating them straight from the jar) was another Cat Cora recipe, this one for roasted tomato and red pepper sauce. The general gist of the recipe is to cook and blend together roasted red peppers with roasted cherry tomatoes, some garlic, chicken stock, salt and pepper. You can finish it with cream, but we had no cream in the fridge and the only dairy I had (skim milk) was expired, so I gave that bit a miss.

I think this is the most disappointing of the Cora recipes that I've tried, but that's mainly because my sauce wasn't quite as saucy as I'd have liked. That's probably because I didn't have enough red peppers but didn't add more tomatoes or use less broth to compensate. It was tasty, but I wasn't so in love with it that I've got plans to make it again or even vague inklings of making it again. It was easy and flavourful enough, but I'd have been as happy eating a sauce from a jar. (Not that I need another one in the fridge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment