29 March 2009

Homemade Pancakes with Pork and Beef Sausage


So my parents came up to visit this weekend and I told them not to come unless they came with my dad's pancake recipe and intentions of making some for me. So my dad made pancakes this morning before they left.

SO GOOD. Yum.

I wish there was a pancake making gene and that I'd have gotten it from my father because I have zero skill with pancakes. Flat pancakes, hard pancakes, chewy pancakes, raw but burned pancakes... that's the sort of pancakes I make. These? Fluffy, light, and delicious. And good.

When I was younger we used to get pancakes most Sundays after church. Some family friends would come over for lunch and my dad would make a mountain of pancakes and we'd all sit around and gorge ourselves of their tasty, tasty goodness. I'd always have to have at least three, so I could have one with each of my favourite toppings - jam (preferably strawberry or raspberry), syrup (sometimes with butter underneath), and honey butter. The honey butter was the best of all, so that pancake would be saved for last, then you'd roll it up and eat it with your hands, so you could lick the honey butter off your fingers when it all dripped everywhere.

Here's my dad's recipe, which served 6 adults today:

2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted (500 ml)
2 tbsp sugar (30 ml)
4 tsp baking powder (20 ml)
1 tsp salt (5 ml)

2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 cups milk (500 ml)
2 tbsp butter, melted (30 ml)
2 egg whites, beaten until stiff

Measure all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir to combine. In a second bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, and butter. Add to the blended dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Fold in egg whites.

Spray cooking spray or lightly wipe butter across a pre-heated griddle or frying pan. Pour 1/3 cup batter for each pancake. Cook until puffy and bubbly, turning before the bubbles in the centre break. Cook through until golden.

Place the cooked pancakes on a heated plate and wrap with tin foil to keep warm. Then, eat and enjoy.

Honey Butter
This is a pretty approximate recipe, but I think this is pretty close to what I made today:

1/2 cup creamed honey (not liquid!) (125 ml)
1 tbsp butter (15 ml)

Stir together until smooth and velvety. Taste for sweetness and add a little more butter if the sweetness is still too sharp. (The butter really just cuts the sweetness off at the knees. It's still there, just... not so much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment