18 March 2009

Cat Cora's Pork Skewers with Tzatziki


I don't very much like this photo, but nevertheless. I recently bought a bargain bin copy of Cat Cora's cookbook Cooking from the Hip. The book is broken up into four sections - fast, easy, fun, and phenomenal - which each have recipes for appetizers, main courses, side dishes, and desserts. I'm not quite sure how she decided which recipes went into which section, since I'm pretty sure (without actually looking) this recipe came from the fast section, but while it cooked quickly, I did most of the prep a day in advance and I wouldn't have called that bit of it fast.

The name Cora gave this recipe isn't a very evocative one: pork skewers with (avocado) tzatziki. The pork is marinated in citrus, garlic, chili powder, and red pepper flakes over-night. It was much less spicy than I'd hoped, but it had occasional bursts of heat alongside the much stronger lemony flavour.

The tzatziki recipe included avocado, but I'm not really a big fan of avocado, so I used bits of the avocado tzatziki recipe blended with a second tzatziki recipe from the book, one for Feta-Mint Tzatziki (though I skipped the mint). The tzatziki, which I also made a day ahead to let the flavours blend, was exquisite. I usually buy a pre-made one, but it was better tasting homemade, so I'm glad I went to the trouble. I could have eaten every drop in that glass and then some. I didn't. but I could have. (The garlic is lingering, though. In a big way.)


I made a big mess eating this, since my pita tore when I was opening it and then just kept tearing further as I ate, but drippiness aside, there's really nothing I can complain about. It didn't photograph well, but since I really care more about eating the food than I do about taking pretty pictures, that's pretty irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment