18 February 2009

White Fish with White Vegetables


I think I mentioned about a week ago that I've got a lot of unusual cookbooks, including a diet one that suggests eating a different colour of food each day of the week. I definitely agree with the idea that a person should eat as wide a variety of fruits and vegetables as possible in order to get all the nutrients we need from food, but I think eating on a colour-wheel is at best silly.

But silly sort of amuses me, so my next seven meals will be coming from this cookbook, Colorfully Slim.

Day one is white vegetable day.

I'm not really following the plan, but if I were, I'd have eaten nothing but white grapefruit, mushrooms, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, endive, bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, pattypan squash and water chestnuts today. (Fruits and vegetable-wise anyway. All the recipes also include protein and so on.) I'm only dedicated enough to eat a white dinner.

So it's not very visible, but under those mushrooms is a fillet of red snapper. I really like red snapper, I think this is the second time I've cooked it and I just really like the flavour. There's something really nice about it. There was nothing particularly special about this preparation and honestly it was a little bit bland. The entire thing, really, is mushrooms, shallots, salt and pepper with some oil and a bit of liquid. It's not enough. I mean, the fish was good, but mushrooms, especially button mushrooms, need some dressing up. They're not exciting and this wasn't an exciting way to eat them.

The cauliflower is really steamed and then tossed with a handful of chopped up cilantro and parsley, which was the only colour the plate, except for the plate. (I did intentionally photograph this on a red plate so there'd be SOMETHING to show all that beige against. Can you imagine so much white/beige on a white plate?) I think if I were to make this again, and probably I will, I'd under-steam the cauliflower a bit and then sauté it in a little oil or butter to add some extra flavour before tossing it with the herbs. Still, it was really tasty even without that. I ate all the cauliflower straight away then picked at the rest of my food because I'd made so much cauliflower I pretty well just filled up on it.

Day two? Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment