01 February 2009

Month End Round-up: January 2009

Books Read, January 2009

J13 - The Weather Makers; Tim Flannery [review]
J15 - The Tales of Beedle the Bard; JK Rowling [review]
J20 - Criminal Minds: Finishing School; Max Allan Collins [review]
J21 - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; F Scott Fitzgerald [review]
J27 - A Spot of Bother; Mark Haddon [review]


So I really didn't read a lot last year. I don't quite know why it happened that way, but I'm not sure I finished even 20 books last year, so this year I have a goal. The goal is (I think) pretty modest - 26 books. I didn't quite intend to read ~ 1/5 of the books in the first month, but it might help me keep up my numbers if I run into a month or two where I don't seem to have the time or desire to read.


Favourite: My favourite was definitely A Spot of Bother. When I wrote my review I couldn't think of anything bad to say about it and I still can't. It was just a pleasure to read.

Least Favourite: Oh, probably the Criminal Minds book. It wasn't terrible, for what it is, but I don't have a very high opinion of what it is, so it's kind of the default worst book. It's one of those books that's okay for the afternoon it takes you to read it and then you immediately forget it because it's entirely forgettable.

Still Reading: I'm reading Michael Ondaatje's Divisadero, or trying to, but keep taking it to work and then doing suduko and crossword puzzles in the free newspaper instead. It's not that it's not interesting, it's just that it requires more attention than I can devote on a 15 minute break in a room full of slurpers and loud talkers. I've also put Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom: Mister Monday on the toilet tank in the bathroom, which means I'll soon be finishing that up for the 5th or 6th time.

No comments:

Post a Comment