16 February 2009

LJ Birthday Block - Feb 10


I signed up this year for another exchange on Livejournal where we make blocks according to requests and then send them out in time for each person's birthday. Because there aren't a lot of us this year, we're making two blocks per person.

For the first birthday, on February 10, the request was for 10 inch blocks made with purples. I feel a bit like I've done nothing but purples the last little while, so I was surprised to find I didn't have nearly as much purple fabric as I thought I did. I didn't use that much for these blocks... I must have put the scraps somewhere I can't find them now. I don't know.

Anyway, I found myself much more constrained by my fabrics than I thought I'd be and it was surprisingly difficult to find fabrics that would work together. I don't think this one is too bad, although I've got a tendency to want a much paler purple in the light areas than I have got.



This second block really didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. I thought the print with the leaves would stand out more than it does, but the background is too close, I guess, to the the lavender. I think the contrast was more obvious when I was looking at larger pieces of fabric but cut into smaller triangles you see far less of the leaves and far more of the background.

Live and learn, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment