16 February 2009

Chicken and Sausage Vegetable Soup


So for the first time ever, I decided to make my own chicken stock. Yesterday we made a roast chicken, so I used the stock and some roasted vegetables and... stuff to make it. It's got a much more intense flavour, I found, than the stuff you buy from a grocery store. And it doesn't have that sort of.. faintly metallic taste you sometimes get with the store bought stuff. I don't know if I'll want to do this every time we make a chicken, but it does taste good enough to make it worth the while.

Anyway, I was having a crisis yesterday about what sort of soup to make and looking for recipes but all I kept finding were soups with lemon in them and I just don't like chicken soup with lemon. So Just Jenn suggested a soup she likes to make. I didn't do much more than absorb her suggestions so I really don't know how much like her soup it actually is, but it was really tasty.

Basically what I did was cook shallots, garlic, carrots and some celery until they'd more or less softened, then I threw in some turkey sausage (without the casing) and cooked that through, then I added the chicken stock, and a handful of tiny bowtie pastas. Once the pasta was cooked through, I added a handful of shredded chicken leftover from the night before and some chopped up cilantro and parsley.

In the picture there's a gob of sour cream, which I mixed into the soup and yum. Very tasty soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment