16 June 2008

Cavatappi with Lemon Quark and Lima Beans


This probably isn't the best looking dinner I've ever made, but it tasted far too good for me to care. It's the best thing I've had to eat in ages (except for the other best things I've had recently, but).

This is a variation on a recipe from Jack Bishop's A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. His version is fava beans with lemon ricotta and rigatoni. But let's face it: no way am I going to shell fava beans (assuming I ever see them anywhere, though if they're the same as broad beans I have seen them at the market) and cavatappi is my favourite pasta shape, really. And I had quark in the fridge and don't particularly care for ricotta. (It's the mouthfeel. It bothers me.)

The quark mixture is just quark with cut up butter, lemon zest, salt and pepper in it. Once the pasta is cooked, you put the hot pasta into a bowl with the quark, and stir it around to coat. Then you add the (cooked) lima beans, check for seasoning, adjust to taste, and eat. So, so good.

The pile of spinach is basically just a pile of spinach, but it's also got a bit of lemon juice, some salt, and a drizzle of olive oil on it. So it's not quite so boring as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment