05 May 2008

Topless Steak Sandwich with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions


Okay, it's just that I burned the top because I wasn't paying attention. (I ate it with the top anyway, but it looked bad in the picture. It was over-toasted not charcoal.)

A take on a Rachel Ray recipe. But with less of everything but the mushrooms (which I added) and some improvisation. (She really, really has the hugest meals ever. It must take a lot of calories to run that personality, but seriously. This sandwich twice over would be one of hers.)

The long version of tonight's dinner is that originally I was going to make beef barley soup with mushrooms. And then I didn't feel like soup, so I was going to make a stir-fry because the ingredients are pretty much the same, just with rice instead of barley, and less cooking liquid. (And more soy sauce. And different spices. And al dente vegetables.) But then I didn't feel like making a stir-fry, so I had to find something different, and I found a recipe for a steak sandwich in the one RR cookbook I own, 365: No Repeats.

It's a little bit spicy, with lots of hot sauce and peppercorn grill spice on the meat, and the onions are a little bit sweet and the mushrooms I just added because they would go bad if I left them in the fridge much longer and I don't think you can really go wrong with mushrooms and steak. And then crunchy toasted bread and melty cheese, which is always good, though I wish I'd had something with a bit stronger of a flavour. (A cheese with peppercorns would have been really good. Or Guinness cheddar.) I think strips of roasted red pepper would be really good, too, if I make this again. Oh, and maybe a spicy mustard. Hm.

Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment