10 March 2008

Madras Fried Rice


This is kind of... a mishmash of things. I had some spiced rice leftover from a while back and wanted to use it up, so I thought... why not an Indian fried rice. So I bought some veal scallopini (it was cheaper than pre-sliced stirfry beef) and cooked it with Madras curry paste, some carrots, onions and peas. Then I tossed in the rice, cooked it until it was really hot and dug in.

I used too much curry paste, so it was the wrong kind of spicy, but it still tasted good, even if it'll probably give me a gut ache.


So a while ago I'd bought a package thing for making biryani, but I never got around to it and the spice paste for cooking the vegetables/meat expired. But there was a packet of spices in it that you were meant to cook in with the rice, so I did. Altogether I added an inch of cinnamon, 4 or 5 peppercorns, 2 green cardamom pods, 4 cloves and the hugest bay leaf I've ever seen in my life.

The flavour of the rice wasn't really strong - it still mainly tasted like basmati rice - but it smelled amazing, which added something interesting to the experience of eating it. I'll definitely try it again, though I may leave out the cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment