13 May 2009

40 Garlic Clove Chicken with Rice and Vegetables


So I'm in Saskatchewan on holidays right now, which means that I've been eating a lot of lunches out and not really cooking so much. Well, that's not true: I have been cooking, but I've been cooking things I've cooked before. I've been making things for my parents that I've made and liked in the past little while, so I've done the pork skewers and Thai Chicken Salad. Tomorrow I'm going to make Cherry Tomato Lasagna.

In any case, my mom wanted to try a recipe for chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I've seen a few of these recipes around but my mom had one from a magazine that she wanted to try. It was a little different from most that I've seen in that it creates a sauce of the garlic, onions and tomato. The sauce was really delicious, especially when I mashed the garlic cloves into it.

Here's how I made it:

2 tbsp olive oil
6 chicken breast halves
salt and pepper
1 small onion, diced
40 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) plum tomatoes
1 tsp rosemary, dried
1 tsp thyme, dried

Heat the oil in a skillet large enough to hold all the chicken breasts. Salt and pepper the chicken, then brown it on both sides. Remove from the oil and set aside.

Add the onion and garlic to the oil and cook until lightly browned. Add the wine, bring to a boil, then simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon, and let them cook 20 to 30 minutes or until the garlic is tender and the tomatoes have thickened into a sauce. (If it seems to be getting too dry, add a bit of broth or water to moisten it.)

Return the chicken breasts to the sauce and cook another 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. When it's finished, you can remove the chicken and puree the sauce with an immersion blender if you wish or just leave it chunky.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment