14 December 2008

Cavatappi with Chicken and Peas


I thought for certain that I'd have posted this before, but I don't see it in my quick check back through my archives. I really do need to get things tagged again so that I'll be able to find things more easily.

Anyway, this is my recreation of a dish I used to get ages ago at a restaurant in Saskatoon. I think they used linguine, but I didn't have any noodle-type pasta and I probably prefer cavatappi anyway. At any rate, this is just pasta with chicken, peas, and alfredo sauce cut with a little pesto. Delicious.

Here's the lazy recipe, to serve 1-2. I seem to eat less pasta at a time than most recipe recommend, so maybe 1 is more accurate. Anyway, I got two servings out of this.

4 oz (110 g) dried pasta, whatever shape you like best
1 chicken breast (~ 6-8 oz/220 g)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4-1/2 cup alfredo sauce
1 tsp (heaping) pesto sauce
Parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta according to package directions, dropping in peas for the last 2 minutes of the cooking time. Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper, then cook through in a frying pan with a little oil.

Drain pasta and peas when cooked through and return to the pot. Stir in cooked chicken. Scoop 3-4 large tablespoons (don't bother measuring accurately, you'll be able to see if it's enough based on how saucy you like your pasta) of Alfredo into the frying pan, then stir in a teaspoon or two of pesto. Heat until bubbling, then pour over pasta mixture and stir to coat. Add more if it seems too dry. Grate over a little parmesan cheese if you wish.

This combines two of my favourite sauces - Alfredo and Pesto. Yum. Also good... Alfredo with some tomato sauce stirred into it, though maybe more equal amounts of each. And not on peas and chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment