05 October 2008

Meat Feast (BBQ Pork Ribs)


We had a meat feast at my house today.

I had never made ribs before, but a good friend of mine has this recipe for ribs that she (and her mom) swears by, and so I got it off her this summer to try out when, someday, I finally got around to buying ribs.

I think I must have got scared about the end of barbecue season because I finally bought a package of ribs a couple weeks back when my work had them on sale, even though it was raining and it clearly wasn't going to happen just then. Fortunately, we've had some ridiculously good fall weather and I did manage to get them in.

Anyway, here is the recipe. Honestly, I can't explain just how good these were - the rub kind of tastes a lot like salt and pepper wings from the pub and the barbecue sauce, which tastes far too sweet before you cook it, complements it perfectly. So. Good.



Faye's Mom's Ribs Recipe

2 racks back ribs (~2-2 1/2 lbs or 1kg)
2 oz. rib spice (~60g) (About half of the following recipe, but I used about 3/4)
2 cups water (500ml)

Spice ribs liberally on both sides with the rib spice. Place ribs in shallow pan, bone side down. Add water to the pan, cover with foil tightly, and place in a preheated (300F/150C/Gas Mark 2) oven and bake 2 hours.

Let ribs cool for 10-15 min and sauce both sides. Wrap tightly with wrap or store in a container and place in the fridge until you're ready to grill them or barbecue on medium heat until re-heated through, adding more of the barbecue sauce as you go.

Rib Spice:
2 tbsp salt (30ml)
1 tsp cumin (5ml)
2 tbsp packed brown sugar (30ml)
1 tsp onion powder (5ml)
2 tbsp sugar (30ml)
1 tsp garlic powder (5ml)
2 tsp paprika (10ml)
1/2 tsp cayenne (2ml)
2 tsp black pepper (10ml)

Stir ingredients together until well blended.

BBQ Sauce:
3/4 cup ketchup (175ml)
1/2 cup maple syrup (125ml)
1/4 cup oil (50ml)
3 tsp bourbon (15ml)
2 tbsp cider vinegar (30ml)
3 tbsp dijon mustard (45ml)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp pepper (5ml)

Whisk together ingredients until well blended.


So my changes. I notice as I'm typing this up that I forgot to include the paprika. I didn't notice anything off about the taste, so I guess if you haven't got any, I wouldn't rush out to get it. It certainly did well without it. I skipped the bourbon because we had none and I didn't want to drive over to the liquor store to see if they had any tiny bottles of it, just for this. Again, I wouldn't rush out to get it. It probably adds a nice flavour, but I don't think it's hurting anything without it. And we didn't have any cider vinegar, so I used rice wine vinegar instead. I don't know why I used that, rather than any of the other vinegars we've got (two different balsamics, white wine, rice wine, sherry wine), but it did work well.

Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment